Friday, December 9, 2011

Tradition

I feel like it's been forever since I've blogged. I think I've had writers block (like I can actually call myself a writer!) but anyway my mind has been cloudy. I am busy with kids, a business and just life in general and it seems like yesterday was Halloween but I am staring Christmas in the face and feeling like if I blink it will be the new year.

So all this said, I am sitting here in the kitchen listening to Chris Tomlin's Christmas CD and Holy Night is on. This song reminds me of my Fifi (my maternal Grandmother) and everyone that I'll be missing this Christmas. Last night was Bible Study and our small group leader asked us all what our favorite tradition has and continues to be around this time of year and to be honest I was sad to say that my favorite tradition is no longer, it was taken away five years ago and it's really heartbreaking to think about. Since I can remember, we would go to my Dad's side of the family on Christmas Eve. The day started with fried fish appetizers, then onto salad, then pasta followed by the most crab legs anyone could ever eat! Then it was fruit, nuts, cookies, and cake. After our food extravaganza, Santa (my Dad's childhood best friend dressed up) would show up to distribute presents. Then last but not least, my cousins and grandma would make homemade pizza (at 12am). The ride home was spent bundled up in the back seat with Jen looking out the window at all the Christmas lights. Sometimes we would even stop at a house that went all out with Christmas lights and decorations and get out of the car to look in the windows. What a wonderful memory I will cherish for the rest of my life. Over the years things changed as we got older but sInce my Dad died five years ago it's never been the same.


For years, I never understood why the holidays would depress people but I think I understand now. As you get older things change, traditions are lost and it can make things different which in turn can make you sad. But I am not going to let myself be sad, I am going to start a new tradition that will be special for my kids, one that they will be able to hold on to. I haven't found it yet, but I'm not going to give up, I will find something that will bring that same feeling of joy and magic that I had when I was a kid.

0 comments: